Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wow, so the roads really ARE treacherous.

Uhh, a lot of unusual and rather scary things have been happening around Austin since the cold weather has come in. First of all, everything around us is iced over like 2 inches, which I've never seen before in my life. It's weird to see everything covered with a blanket of ice and snow. That never happens in Houston. The last time it did, I was like 8 or something and I don't remember it at all.

First, a guy decided to open up a sewer tunnel and jump in for some reason. And lo and behold, he got stuck and probably fainted due to hyperthermia. This happened at 25th and Rio Grande, a pretty major intersection West Campus. I saw and heard the sirens right before I was getting ready to walk Tequila, and then a spectator told me what had happened. I saw the guy get wheeled away on a stretcher! But, what the hell? What kind of strange desire is it to open the sewer tunnel and jump in, especially on a day like this?? It's like 0 degrees celsius outside, and the ice someone dumped out from their drink has been sitting on the porch outside my door for the past 2 days, UNMELTED!

Second, as I was driving on the feeder of I-35, I saw a bunch of police cars huddled near the exit. What happened was an Accord slid off the freeway, down the side of the highway which was a hill covered in ice, and smashed into the feeder. The car's front was totally destroyed, and you could see where the tire marks had ripped through the ice on the hill.

Third, as I myself was on the highway driving home, a huge shard of ice from another car decided to come loose and the wind smashed it into my car, going about 50 mph. I was scared shitless when it made its way towards me because it looked like a huge shard of glass, but when it hit my car, it just crumpled into a million pieces and did not hurt my car at all. Phew.

We also went to HEB to get some food for the night, but it seemed like everyone and their mama was there. ALL the Hot Pockets, Lean Pockets, and all brands of frozen pizza were GONE! This isn't y2k people! *Sigh. Stop acting like it is. It's going to warm up tomorrow (meaning that school is starting finally, yay)

2 comments:

L-T said...

haha, you ARE a nerd for wanting school to start back up! i was overjoyed when i woke up to find that class had been cancelled. i guess all that crappy weather y'all have been having finally made its way up to dallas =P anyway, drive safely! ice storms are the suck.

-aholic said...

people in texas freak out over anything that isn't sunshine.